Monday, March 12, 2007

Kateri

Today we took Hannah on a girl scout outing to Kateri. They teach the kids about sugaring. I caught about half of it and I thought it was really neat. (Someone told me it was an hour long but it was really two.) She explained to the kids how you identify a maple tree, how to tap it, why the sap flows out, and how to turn it into syrup and sugar. We got to taste the sap as it came out of the tree. It was actually very watery. I don't quite know what I was expecting since I know the sap has to be boiled down to get it to a thick consistency. I thought it might be sweeter tasting than it was.

Dan and I went in and talked to Simon's teacher today to explain what's going on. Simon went to school last week and told her he was having brain surgery next Wednesday..... ok, so he doesn't quite get it. At least she knows all the correct details now. We don't actually know how long he'll be out of school but it will be at a minimum two weeks. Good thing he is already way ahead of where he needs to be in Kindergarten.

In other news.... Dan's dad had surgery today to replace his defibrillator. The crazy part is it was an out patient operation! How can you operate on someone's heart and send them home the same day! Is it insurance or is the operation that un-invasive? Jim is doing well and will stay the night with Ben and Susan. I am sure he will drive back to Granby tomorrow and be back to work asap. He doesn't seem to slow down.

I got my office all back in order after I sorted through old papers, shredded them, and filed the new ones away. There were paper shreds all over because Seth happily removed them from the trash and relocated them to the other side of the gate trapping him in the office. Hey, it made him happy and I got to finish filing! I am hoping to get some quilting done this week. Those borders still need to be attached on Susan and Ben's quilt top. Someday I'll be able to quilt all day long without interruptions.... by then I'll probably be a grandma!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I was going to post the same thing about Jim! You beat me to it!
It is amazing that replacing a defibirillator is day surgery & you can have a gall bladder removed the old-fashioned way & be released 3 days later. You used to be in the hospital for 2 weeks for that. They have learned the sooner you get back to your home & your life, the sooner you feel better. And of course, the insurance companies will keep you there for the least amount of time needed.

Paula Ebert said...

Simon probably said the surgery was next Wednesday because it was as long in the future as he could imagine. He could skip kindergarten, you know, as smart as he is, but this is probably for the best if he's going to miss a bunch of school. I'm glad Dan's dad is doing well.

shawna said...

Ellen- thanks for the link to your blog! Now I can keep up with the happenings in your life...My thoughts and prayers are with you, Simon and your family as you walk this path. If there is anything I can do from Denver, please let me know. XO