Friday, April 27, 2007

Shop Hop

For the non-quilters out there you are probably thinking, "Shop what?" Shop Hop is an annual event where quilt stores, in this case NJ, decide on a quilt and each store comes up with a different lay out or colors for the blocks. Then over a weekend if you go to all the stores and get your passport stamped you are entered to win prizes. For me it is an opportunity to get myself out to see the quilt stores in the state! And I mean all over the state! There is one on the northern portion of NJ and another all the way down past Atlantic City. I have 4 days to go to all 8 stores. I think I can make it! I took Simon and Seth to 2 of them yesterday. Simon was fantastic. He even convinced me to buy him some fabric for a pillowcase cover. I am a sucker for cute boys and fabric! Anyway, I will be enjoying my weekend as I frantically drive from one end of the world to another to look at and possibly buy fabric at new quilt stores.

I watched a video yesterday about a woman who had triplets and it was spectacular! It was rather emotional and empowering. Here is a bit of further information on it from one of my yahoo groups.

What I want to know is how did you carry triplets to 37 weeks?
It wasn't all cake or anything, but I felt it was just what I had to
do for my babies. I ate 4500 calories a day. No junk food, no sugar,
no white products. 200gms of protein. Lots and lots of beans and meat.

What restrictions were placed on you trying for a homebirth? Eg. have
to be right positions/after set date etc.
I had to be 36 weeks (a day or so before was fine, but nothing before
that). They had to be all in their own sacs with no birth defects or
possible health issues. *I* had to feel comfortable with it. My
midwives never would've taken me on if they didn't feel that I knew
my body, which I do. They wanted to know how my pushing stage went
with my last child to see if they thought breech would be easy.

Did you have all of the mountains of monitoring?
Not what most triplet moms get. I didn't allow any vaginal checks
during pregnancy with anything, ultrasound wand or fingers. I didn't
have the multitude of constant ultrasounds most moms get nor did I
have home uterine devices or anything like that. I wasn't put in the
hospital or on bed rest because I simply didn't need to be. I did have
several ultrasounds, the last one being at 36 weeks, just to make
sure everything was good to go.

Did you see an OB at all or just midwives? Did you have anyone on
backup at the hospital etc.
Well, technically, I never saw an OB. I went to an OB's office, but I
just saw their PA. The OB never came in to see me. My midwives knew a
high risk peri at my local hospital.

Was it what you always wanted or were the times you questioned it
with it being labeled 'higher risk'?
I never questioned it. As long as the babies were healthy and I got
to 36 weeks, I saw no reason not to have a homebirth. Just because
there's 3 babies doesn't make it a reason to have to birth in a
hospital. Woman have had multiples at home safety for hundreds of
years. Hospitals are wonderful for people that really need them.
Preemies/TTTS/Monoamniotic/etc.. just wouldn't survive without them.
They have their place. It just wasn't a place for me, a full term
perfectly healthy mom.


Sorry if this is rude but what were the first signs your little one
was sick?
Sadly enough, there weren't many. She was really cranky. We assumed
she was teething because she calmed down when chewing on teethers. No
fever. She had a stuffy nose and a slight cough, but that was the
RSV. It was the meningitis that got her so sick. She was just cranky.
We got her to sleep at 3 am. We woke up at 5 am and she was gray, not
breathing, and seizuring with probably a 106F temperature.

what are the songs played during the montage
Lullabye by Dixie Chicks, Hurt by Johnny Cash, and My Immortal by
Evanescence

Well, we are going to have a busy day today. We'll start with gymboree, then on to Tiff's house for lunch and play, hopefully a quick trip to the grocery store, and then we have to take Malaya to the vet after we get Hannah from school! The poor kitty has a yucky sore under her front leg. All of this in the rain. I'd rather be quilting....

2 comments:

Amy Y said...

Shop what, indeed! I'll go shopping! :) Sounds like fun - hope you win and get your quilts out there!! :)

Paula Ebert said...

Driving to quilt shops is probably OK, but through New Jersey traffic? You are truly dedicated!

I used to have a Midwifery Today magazine with an article about a woman who had triplets in a home birth ... you thought Misty was huge! This woman had three 6-pound babies.