Tuesday, April 17, 2007

It's Good to be Home


Being away from home like that is hard. We almost didn't get to come home on Monday. The neurosurgeon who has seen Simon Monday morning said we'd go home most likely if he ate breakfast, lunch, and drank fluids. Done, done, done. In the early afternoon our nurse had the resident call neurosurgery to get us out and they said, "No." Ahh! They wanted to keep him for "observation". At this point we had already checked out of the hotel because we were told we'd be going home. Dan was pretty upset about it but managed to not lose his composure. Right after we were told this I ran into Simon's neurosurgeon in the hall. Dr. Storm came in and looked Simon over and said there was no reason for us to stay. He ok'd us going home! Yes! I don't know if Dan could have handled one more sleepless night in the hospital. I am very proud of Daniel. He put aside his own personal fears and anxieties about the hospital to be there for his son. I know it was a difficult thing for him to do.

Simon is doing really well. He goes back and forth on how he feels. I think a lot of it is tied to how tired he is. Yesterday I had to remind him to take it easy. Today he walked up the stairs all by himself... and then made me carry him back down. His neck is still very stiff and he gets headaches too. All he is taking is Tylenol and he doesn't even take it every 4 hours. I am amazed at how well he is doing. In a week I am going to have to tie him down to keep him from climbing trees!

Hannah grumbles each day about him staying home. C'est la vie, non? I actually told her on Monday that after I cut her head open with a scalpel then we could talk about fair (bad mommy!). I was tired.

I am looking forward to the weekend. We are going to go up to my mom's for her birthday. Since I have such a young mom I think I can brag and say she is celebrating the big 50. We are going to take her out for dinner and Ellicot City for some antique shopping. The only down side is we think Simon should stay home. I know he won't agree but I just don't think the 3:30 hour car ride is a good idea. Dan is going to stay home with him so maybe they can play video games all weekend.

Here is the picture of his incision..... It won't show at all when he grows up I bet.

5 comments:

Coni Sanders said...

Wow - Simon looks just the same with a really cool design on the back of his head.... It is OK to have those mommy moments...... I told Mallory this morning that she had to go to school and if she was TRULY sick she could call an ambulance - not me!!!!!!

We all have our moments dear - they survive.....

Tell Hannah Amber says hi......

Love ya,
Coni

Scylla said...

Simon looks great Ellen! I know he will hate to be home all weekend while you are all at your mom's, but maybe some one on one daddy time will put him in the right spirit. Give him a big hug for me!

Paula Ebert said...

Simon will love the "Daddy" time all to himself this weekend. He's doing amazingly well - you will have to tie him down soon.

Oh, I'll pay you later for the "young mom" comment :)

ellen said...

Sweet, money in my pocket!

Simon loves Daddy time. He just hasn't seen Paul in a while. No one is as cool as Paul when you are under 10 years old!

Amy Y said...

Holy cow, Ellen! YOu can't tell that that incision is less than a week old! So glad he's doing so well - I hope you are hanging in there too. Go Dan and you for being such rock star parents. :) Simon doesn't know how lucky he is!