Saturday, May 01, 2010

Enchilada sauce

I had a request for the enchilada sauce recipe. It's one of those "ish" recipes.

Dried red chiles, like guajillo chiles
Garlic
Salt
jalapenos, if you want it hotter

Cut the tops off of the chiles. Said told me that if you leave the seeds in, it'll be hotter, but these chiles are rather mild in my opinion. Put the chiles in a pot and add enough water to cover the chiles. Bring it to a boil and then turn it down to a low boil. Let it boil for about 15 minutes until the water is red. Remove from heat and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Pour all of it into the blender. Add your garlic, probably one or two cloves, and salt to taste, I'd guess about a teaspoon. If you want to add jalapeno to make it hot you can. Then, puree away! If it's too thick you can add some water to it. Taste it... see if needs more of anything. I haven't experimented with this recipe too much yet but you could probably add onion powder or cumin to it. Once it's done you can use it as is or strain it to get the seeds out that didn't puree. I'm in the lazy camp over here, so I leave it.

Or, you can go to the store and buy a can or two of enchilada sauce!

No comments: