Wednesday, September 17, 2008

All tuckered out

That'd be me btw. Not one of the kids.

Seth and I took a bus this morning up to NYC to meet my mom and brothers. It was an easy ride up. All was smooth sailing. We took a cab to the Metropolitan Museum, not the MoMA, my bad. What a fantastic museum. I was in awe. Since I don't frequent art museums all that often I thought it was awesome to be standing in front of a real Picasso, Monet, Van Gogh, etc. Truly cool. You can say it, I am a dork. Although, our reason for going there was to see the Turner exhibit.

The smooth sailing came to an abrupt halt though. Little Seth decided he was done... an hour into our day at the museum. I tried to hold him off by taking him up to the roof to see some balloon sculpture. There was a small snack stand up there. Hum, if I get him a cookie, will he calm down? He might be getting hungry? Let's try. We sat down on a bench to enjoy the cookie and without thinking about it, I had the audacity to break off a chunk of cookie for him.... It was like setting of a nuclear toddler. Too late, no going back, thermonuclear meltdown. He crumbled the cookie and threw it on the ground while screaming about wanting a cookie... shit... now what?

First call my husband. Tell him I'll never bring Seth with me anywhere again and have him remind me of this. Dan said he wished there was something he could do to help. I suggested he tell me that throwing Seth off the roof wasn't an option.

Toddlers. I should have left him with Tiff. Who cares if Chloe likes to nap... Oh, wait. That's not nice.

Mom came up to us on the roof. He calmed down and we went to the cafeteria for lunch. I was worried he'd do it again but he didn't. The rest of the day he was testy but no more tantrums. Thank you!

Seth napped on me for a bit. We finished seeing the things we wanted to see and went into the park to find the castle. Hurray, it's easy to find and not far from the museum.

We randomly started walking from there. A trail this way, a trail that way. Hey, look! The lake.

"Can you see the boats?"

We took pictures and ate some ice cream. Ah, it was like being in a weird movie. I asked the guy we bought the ice cream from how to get out of the park. I had no idea which was up. He point the way. Once we exited the park we were a long way from the museum. For those of you who know Manhattan then you'll understand. The museum is on like 80th and 5th Ave. We came out of the park on the west side at 67th! We just kept walking from there. We went to Starbucks along the way. I even went to Chipotle because I LOVE their burritos. They aren't down where we are yet but I will be a good patron once they get here!!!

We walked and walked and walked down 8th Ave. I swear that while we were walking Dustin Hoffman passed us. He had sunglasses and headphones on but I am pretty darn sure it was him.

I walked all the way to Port Authority. I carried Seth almost the whole time because he stubbornly wouldn't let me put him in my sling. (We really don't use the sling anymore but I thought it'd be an easier way to get around than pushing a stroller through all those busy streets.)

If my mom got some good pictures of all of us I'll share them. Also, Seth took a ton of pictures with my camera. Hey, he was quiet and cute. Here are a few of his. Don't worry, I won't show you the ones of bellies and toes that he took.

"Ok, honey. Last picture and then you have to give mommy the camera."

So now, I am all tuckered out. I am going to bed.


Tiffany said...

Yeah, next time we'll let Chloe skip a nap for that day! I am glad he calmed down for you though.

ellen said...

I knew you'd understand! Thanks. :)

Samantha said...

I am so jealous of your proximity to NYC!