Sunday, May 04, 2008

Half Marathon

We did it. We finished our half marathon today. I have to be honest and tell ya I am a bit sore now that I've quit moving. I don't walk 13.1 miles very often! It was strange to have people running by you as they finished their marathon while I was strolling along towards the end of my half.

We had to start our day very early. They race began at 7:30 am. I'd usually sleep in on a Sunday morning if the kids let me. I got picked up at 5:45... yeah, early.

It was cool and foggy down on the water front. It stayed cool for us through the whole walk.


So, all in all it was a good experience. I think I was already talked into trying to run a 5 mile race in the fall. Anyone have any good suggestions for getting started with running? I don't think I am the personality type to get really serious about running. No NYC marathons for me. I am more of a yoga kinda gal. Does that make sense?

7 comments:

Ria said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so glad you felt good enough to do it. I am more of a yoga type of person too. I completely understand.

woman at the well said...

Congratulations on the marathon! Walking must suit you, on Saturday, I noticed how thin you were getting! And, down by the beach - what fun.

Scylla said...

Yay Ellen!! Great job! As for starting running... all I can tell you is that after a week or so you will stop wanting to puke after you run.

At least that's about how long it took me.

Aunt Debbie said...

Great job Ellen! That is so awesome - I bet you feel great for finishing. As for the running, I wouldn't know where to start (for me, it'd be with a breast reduction - ha/ha!).

Love you, Aunt Debbie

Susan said...

You rock! I'm right there with you on the yoga. Here's that website I sent you awhile back:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Unless Ben has surgery next week, I am planning on starting this. We'll see how that goes...

ellen said...

Thank you all for your congrats!

Misty- You don't make running sound fun... at all. Puking? Ewww.

Mom- Thinner? I haven't lost a pound. Have I told you recently how much I love you?

Samantha said...

Go you! You rock!