Friday, August 14, 2009

Zucchini

For those of you with a plethora of zucchini in your garden or the ones that just love summer squashes, give this yummy recipe a try! It's really fabulous. My husband and I tried it a few years ago and have made it many times. The kids poo-poo it every time but that's because it's good for them!

Zucchini and Pepper Enchiladas
(Taken from The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen)

2 tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 cups minced onion
6 medium cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp. salt
1 large bell pepper (any color), minced
5 small (6 -inch) zucchini, diced
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
cayenne and black pepper to taste
1 1/3 cups (packed) grated jack cheese

1) Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet. Add onion, garlic, and salt, and saute over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the onion is quite soft.

2) Add the bell pepper, zucchini, and seasonings. Stir and cook over medium heat another 5 to 8 minutes, or until the zucchini is just tender.

3) Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Allow to cool for a few minutes before filling the tortillas.

I like to use pepper jack cheese to spice it up a little so I omit the cayenne and black pepper. I just prepare the enchiladas like I would if it were cheese or beef. I make it like a casserole with a layer of corn torts, layer of filling, layer of enchilada sauce, repeat. (I'm too lazy to dip, fill and roll each enchilada). Bake for about 30 minutes at 350.

Now you all have to request Said comes to your house to teach you how to make enchilada sauce from scratch. So easy and yummy.

No comments: