Saturday, November 14, 2009

Rag quilt

Rag quilts are so awesome. Quick, easy, adorable, soft and cozy. It shouldn't take long to finish up and then I can slowly begin the wedding quilt. I might hold off on it until Christmas break though. I'll have a break from school which means I might actually be able to accomplish some crafting!


I decided to make this quilt 30" x 35" with 5" finished blocks. (The layout will be 6 x 7 which would give you 42 blocks on the front. 42 for the back as well.) Cut 84 6" blocks. Sew the front and back together at the same time, with the raw edges on the front side, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Once it's all sewn together, stitch 1/2" around the outside too, clip the raw edges, and wash it up. Done.


I'll show you the results when I'm done. You can make the blocks any size you want. You can even add batting in the middle for added warmth but you have to stitch it down to secure it. Really, these quilts are fun and easy. Clipping the raw edges is the challenging part but with a good pair of spring action scissors it goes much faster.

1 comment:

Paula Ebert said...

I'll have to see the finished product in order for it to make sense to me :) But I'm sure it will be adorable!