Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Memorial

Sunday was my Aunt Sharon's memorial service. I flew out very early on Saturday morning. Although the flight was god awful early, it gave me a chance to see a few friends and some family before the service on Sunday. I had a red eye flight home Sunday night. It was a quick weekend trip.

The service was held at Lookout Mountain Park on a cool, rainy day. She had requested that we all attend in our pajamas. She said she always wore hers and that when she died we should have a pajama party instead of a funeral. She was probably looking down and laughing at all of us in our pj's in the rain because she way ornery like that. They released balloons and spread some of her ashes up there. It was very nice. We had a reception at a church down in Littleton following that. I got the chance to see some family that I haven't seen in a very long time. I wish our family would have reunions that weren't because of a death.

All in all, things went well I think. With my family that is truly saying something. It isn't all that uncommon to have the cops called on a few select members of the family... yeah, I have a Jerry Springer family.

I also got to bring home a very special thing with me. A quilt.


When my dad died Aunt Sharon told me that this quilt belonged to me. It had been given to my dad, but he apparently didn't think he could care for it so he entrusted it to his sister. I told her to hold on to it for me.

Now, it's mine. At a high cost unfortunately. The cost was losing one of my aunts...

I am truly blessed to have this quilt come to me though. I love it. There are a lot of things about this quilt that I'd like to figure out. I don't know who made it or when it was made. I think it was made in the 30's. Each block has a name on it. I recognize some of the names, but not all of them. I have some research to do. It has 56 names on it! Granny, Poggy, grandma Betty, and great uncle Jim are all on there, but their other 3 children aren't listed so it was probably made before they were born.

Betty Seward was my paternal grandmother.

Rest in peace Aunt Sharon. Thank you for this beautiful gift. I promise to take good care of it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry again about your aunt. A lovely quilt. I can't imagine anyone to take better care of it. -- Monica

antique quilter said...

what a very special quilt, wonderful memories this quilt will share with you thinking about all the people you know whose names are on the quilt
I love the butterflies!
Kathie

ellen said...

Thanks, Monica.

Kathie- It will be a wonderful thing to share with my children.

Amy Y said...

I'm sorry for your loss... What a beautiful gift though! I love the idea of a pajama party!

Samantha said...

what an amazing legacy handed down by your aunt. take comfort from it :-)

Paula Ebert said...

Ellen: What a wonderful momento from your dad, through your aunt. Something is dinging around in my memory about that quilt - I think. If I remember anything, I'll let you know.